19 January, 2007

My skeptical past. pt 2

The other comedic inspiration for some of my questions of faith (questions I wouldn't have known I needed to ask if it were not for British comedy of the 70s and 80s) was All Things Dull and Ugly from Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album. (and if you are reading this Scott Lawlor, I know you still have my copy and quite frankly 17 years is much to long for it to still be considered a loan. The fact that we are no longer in contact is no excuse, you could google my name and find out where to return it. After all if you are reading this you have obviously been googling your own name and someone with an engineering degree can afford the postage). But I digress,

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

You know, there are a lot of Christians who would never to consider looking at the world around them in this sort of detail. Sure we have Why do Bad Things Happen to Good People and other works of that ilk (as Rowan Atkinson (playing a Catholic Bishop on Not the nine o'clock..) said
Where was God when I cut my finger
but those pop-christian pseudo self help books don't deal with real questions of the origins of sin/evil or the nature of Biblical history/mythology about creation and the interaction and conflicts between science and religion.
So hearing this was one of the first times I actually started considering the nature of the world I lived in and why the putrid, foul and gangrenous needed to exist.

No comments: